Terms of Reference
The Steering Group terms of reference are given below.
LEASINGHAM & ROXHOLM NEIGHBOURHOOD DEVELOPMENT PLAN (NDP) STEERING GROUP
TERMS OF REFERENCE / CONSTITUTION
1. Purpose of the Steering Group
1.1 Leasingham & Roxholm Parish Council is the qualifying body for the preparation of an NDP for the civil parish area. The Parish Council has agreed to establish a separate group, the NDP Steering Group, to facilitate the delivery of the Plan. The Parish Council has granted delegated authority in exercise of all relevant plan-making functions to the Leasingham & Roxholm NDP Steering Group. The Steering Group sits as the decision making body for the NDP and will lead the preparation of the Leasingham & Roxholm NDP. The Steering Group will guide and agree the content of the Plan and take forward the production, through to examination and referendum ensuring that relevant consultation takes place so that the plan accurately represents the views of the residents and other stakeholders.
1.2 The Steering Group will
- provide a locally accountable and representative lead for plan-making
- agree appropriate timescales and endeavour to secure compliance
- agree project communication, consultation and engagement strategies
- agree the initial scope of the Plan prior to early public engagement
- confirm, subject to consultation with the Parish Council, the scope of the Plan following analysis of early and subsequent community engagement
- approve all background and evidence based reports prior to publication
- agree all consultation documents prior to publication
- aim to ensure that costs are contained to within the budget available.
- agree, subject to ratification by the Parish Council, a final submission version
- of the Leasingham & Roxholm NDP, and
- actively support and promote the preparation of the Leasingham & Roxholm NDP throughout the duration of the project
1.3 The Steering Group is intended to run until a Plan has been presented for independent examination. The Steering Group will remain active until the independent examiners report is published.
2. Steering Group Objective
The objective of the Steering Group is to produce a sound NDP for the Parish of Leasingham & Roxholm that defines the planning policy for the Parish, agrees priorities identified by the community taking into account all representations made during the plan-making process and having regard to all relevant existing plans and evidence.
3. Steering Group Membership
The Steering Group shall
- consist of no fewer than 5, and no more than 15 individuals, who live, work or have an interest in Leasingham or Roxholm.
- consist of at least one member from the Leasingham & Roxholm Parish Council.
- elect a Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary from its membership.
- meet regularly, at least once a month, to check on progress, report on actions taken and agree on next steps.
4. Steering Group Quorum, Voting & Amendments to these Terms of Reference / Constitution
4.1 For any Steering Group official meeting a quorum of at least 4 members must be present.
4.2 Decisions on matters affecting the NDP will normally be by consensus at Steering Group meetings. Where a vote is required each member shall have one vote. A minimum of four members shall be present where matters are presented for decisions. A simple majority will be required to support any decision. The Chair of the meeting (Chair, Vice Chair or alternate) shall have one casting vote in addition to his or her normal vote.
4.3 Any proposal to amend these Terms of Reference / Constitution can be made by any quorate Steering Group meeting. Such amendments will require a two-thirds majority of those present and entitled to vote, not withstanding sub clause 4.2 above.
5. Steering Group Roles & Responsibilities
The Steering Group is established having full-delegated authority from the Parish Council to deliver the NDP up to and including publication of a Draft NDP. The Group will report monthly to the Parish Council setting out progress on its work. The Parish Council will need to approve the Submission Draft NDP prior to publication for consultation and independent examination.
The Steering Group will follow the following code of conduct. The Steering Group is accountable to the wider community for ensuring that the Plan reflects their collective expectations. The Steering Group will achieve this through applying the following principles:
- All personal interests must be declared if perceived as relevant to a discussion or decision of the group. This should be recorded in the minutes and the individual cannot vote on the decision when he / she has a personal interest.
- Work with mutual trust and respect, and combine their expertise
- Be clear when their individual roles or interests are in conflict
- Bring appropriate ideas and concerns to the attention of the Steering Group
- Inform the Steering Group when they are unable to deliver agreed actions
- Treat everyone with dignity, courtesy and respect regardless of their age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, ability, or religion and belief; and
- Actively promote equality of access and opportunity